Tuesday, August 15, 2017

August 14, 2017 - Murray, UT

Hello! I'm still alive! These last two weeks have been amazing. So first off, my last couple of days at the MTC flew by. On my last Sunday, the evening devotional speaker was Jenny Oaks Baker. We all thought an apostle was going to come because they moved the time earlier. Instead, we got to hear from Jenny Oaks Baker, who is an internationally renowned violinist. She played some songs for us, and it was really neat. Then, they asked everyone to stay and watch one specific film, a talk by one of the apostles, David A. Bednar. So we watched it, and as it ended, we stood to leave. Now, unfortunately I was seated in the overflow section, with all of the other missionaries who left that week, so we were just watching Jenny Oaks Baker on TV. So as we were about to leave, into our room walked Elder David A Bednar himself. It was incredible, you could feel his strong spirit just as he walked in the room. He spoke to the 400 or so of us missionaries who left that week, did a Q&A, and then went to the other building to answer questions. He spoke with us for another hour. It was absolutely one of the coolest moments in my life. I attached some pictures, I was only like 10 rows and 40 ft back. So that was awesome.

Then, we departed for our mission on Tuesday. On the train, we had 40 seconds to unload 20 people's luggage. That was a rush, and we accidentally left my companion, Elder Fitch, behind. We picked him up later. Then we went to This Is the Place Monument (State Park) and ate and met some of the missionaries, and the mission President and his wife, President and Sister Hillier. They are amazing. Sister Hillier is the bubbliest, most loving, yet most strict and obedient person ever. As long as we are obedient, we will have incredible missions. President Hillier is a very spiritual guy. He spent almost 5 hours total in prayer and pondering on all of the new missionaries, and who they should be companioned up with. Truly he was inspired. So here I am.

I am serving in the Little Cottonwood and Cottonwood South Stakes. We have 2 stakes, and 11 wards. My companion is Elder Jolly, from Washington State. He has been out 10 and a half months, and is an incredible, hardworking missionary. We have been busy every day. I am tired every day, but that is okay because I know that I am doing the Lord's work, so He will help me through. A great experience we had was one day we had worked really hard, but we hadn't been able to teach really anyone. We got back to the apartment and were super tired and about to go to sleep. But then we got a phone call, and it was a guy we had tried to contact, and he wanted to meet, so we met with him on Sunday. Who knows how it will go, but we will see. Well, that's about it so far, I love it out here so much. 

I’m in a bike area, we bike like at least 15-20 miles a day, I try to keep track on my watch a little.​
Got a bike, only had to pay 70 bucks for repairs. It works great. As for the investigators, we are busy, busy, busy. We teach 4 plus lessons a day, and we keep getting referral after referral. We meet with members, share a lesson, and then commit them to pray and find at least one person they are willing to take us to, and it is starting to roll in some people. We have 2 on dates, and at least 3 maybe 5 or more that could and should be on date by the end of the week! It is awesome, the members are starting to reach out more, and part member families are starting to be a huge focus area for us too! I love it!

The coolest thing here is that I have only spent 7 dollars, and I have way too much food. The first week groceries, some sister paid for, then we got a gift card in the middle of the week, every dinner is with a member, and the one time we ate out, some HS football coaches (one who served in Independence) paid for us. That is pretty awesome.

That is so awesome for Carson, (getting his driver’s license). I am so proud of him, tell him to keep up the good hard work. I hope Cody and Heidi are enjoying their last few days of freedom from school! Glad to hear all is well in the home. 
Elder Adams



No comments:

Post a Comment