Tuesday, September 12, 2017

September 11, 2017 - Murray, UT

So this week has been quite the week. We have worked so hard, and experienced many days of hardships and struggles, but we have kept obedient and diligent, and the Lord is rewarding us richly. We were able to teach a lot of lessons to people, and do some service. One day this week we got a phone call at 8:58, 2 minutes before we have to turn in for the night, from a Bishop of one of the wards we cover. He shared that he had someone for us to teach, and that this lady had actually requested the missionaries. We taught her yesterday, and she was so sweet, humble, and cried because of how happy the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ made her. She is on date to be baptized October 7th. We are also having some baptisms this Saturday, for Bryan and Jose, brothers we have been teaching for a while. The family is very excited for them. Missionary work is so awesome, it is hard for me to describe. The best way I have seen it described is in the Book of Mormon, in the book of Alma, chapter 26. In there a guy named Ammon just finished his mission and is sharing his feelings about it with his brothers and friends. It is my favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon. I would invite you all to read it!

I had my first exchanges this week. Exchanges are when one companionship flips one guy with another companionship. Elder Jolly went out for a day with our District Leader Elder Mushet, and I took his companion Elder Hardt into our area for a day. We did a lot of contacting people who we had been referred to, and we got yelled at from some doors. It was actually quite hilarious. We did meet one young guy, Tyler, who we are going back to teach on Wednesday. That was cool because he was the last door we tried on that street, right before we called it quits. We spent the night at Elder Mushet and Elder Hardt's place, it was really fun. We worked out in their workout room, and just had some really fun conversations. Morning came, and it was back to work as normal. 

We got to speak twice in church meetings yesterday. I honestly didn't prepare at all before either, yet both were 10-15 minutes solid. It was very cool to be able to do that. I love being in tune with the Holy Ghost, I know we are guided and blessed as we listen to the promptings we receive. 

I have heard about the hurricanes, we pray for those people affected often! Thanks for letting me know that Grandpa Smith passed away. I know it is better for him, just like you said. Your testimony of where he is now is so true, and I hope you always remember that! That is a great photo of him, one of my zone leaders said I kind of look like him.

As for Elder Gundred, yes, we were in the same district in the MTC. Four of the elders (from that district) are serving in the San Antonio Texas mission actually. Elder Gundred and I worked closely together in the MTC, as I was District Leader, and he was Zone Leader. He is a great guy, solid soccer player, on full ride to Utah State, and we are gonna actually try and hang out after our mission. That is so fun that he is serving in Grandma's area, know she is in good hands there.

Time is flying, and I love it out here so much. That is a great quote you shared dad. “Faith in God engenders a love for the Sabbath; faith in the Sabbath engenders a love for God”  (Elder Russell M. Nelson, The Sabbath Is a Delight).  It speaks so simply yet profound. Aren't modern day prophets and apostles great?! I love them, and am excited to go to general conference this month. (We have tickets for the Saturday afternoon session!). I heard about Grandpa Smith from Mom. Praying for you all, I know that he is in a better place, and we will see him again and be together for eternity living in the presence of God and Jesus Christ.  

I love the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I know this church is true. I pray that all is well with you!
Love you very much!
Elder Adams


Oh, tell Heidi and Cody and Carson this cool story: You know the Michael Vey series? Well the author Richard Paul Evans has a brother named Boyd, and he is the young men's president in one of my wards! His daughter (the author’s niece) is named Tara, and that is where the author got the name. So that is cool! Also they are gonna get his autograph for me, maybe even in one of the books, and I'll send it home! Fun stuff out here! 

Below picture: Adams' Peanut Butter and Jolly Rancher Time

 

No comments:

Post a Comment