Tuesday, February 6, 2018

February 5, 2018 - South SLC, UT

Am I starting to like noodles...? So we eat a lot of noodles. Like 2 times a day. I usually have no lunch, because we have dinner, and then someone else will feed us too. It's part of their culture. And the main food the Karenni people eat is rice and noodles. The rice is great, and sometimes I like the noodles, which is pretty cool since most American pastas are still on the dislike list. Maybe my taste buds are changing.

This week has been amazing. Truly this is the Lord's work, and He guides us to be the best missionaries we can be. This week we saw a lot of ups and downs. We met a family the week before, and the mother and daughters were taking to the gospel so well. The daughters even came to church and loved it so much. We went over for another lesson, and the dad was unhappy. Eventually, we were able to discuss with him the importance of following Jesus Christ and being baptized. He has a strong religious background, so we discussed the priesthood. He said that he is never getting baptized again, but that his wife and daughters can choose, they just have to wait till they are a specific age, which is 7 years away. So that was one of those upsetting moments. The Karenni ward member we brought to translate has a wife who has those same concerns, so we went to a lesson with her, and brought another member who overcame those concerns. This lesson was extremely powerful, and the mother/wife accepted to be baptized. It was incredible. Missions are such up and down roller coasters, but it is really nice to have that change, the work is never monotonous!

A fun activity happened Saturday. There are 8 ethnic groups in Myanmar (Burma) that were run out by the Burmese, and fled to Thailand. One group which has also settled in the Salt Lake Valley is the Mon group. There are only 90 of them in the valley total, but they celebrated a national day, invited us, and held it at our church building, and it was really fun. They had some speakers, one of which was our branch President, President Peterson, and lots of dances. And delicious food! Some of the dances were very different. I have included some pictures and a video. The video is of the Karenni, which is who I am privileged to work with. They were asked to participate, and share some of their culture. That was a neat experience, especially because a lot of the Karenni youth that came are still unbaptized, so we are working on changing that. 

I absolutely love this opportunity I have to serve the Lord. I wish I could spend the rest of my life doing this, but sadly I only have 2 years to give all I have like this. I know that without a doubt I will continue to serve the Lord for the rest of my life; that is one thing I have learned from my mission. I know that the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is here on the earth today. I know that President Russell M. Nelson is the prophet called of God to lead us today, at this time in the world. I know that the Book of Mormon is the most correct book on the earth, and with the prophet Joseph Smith I too can testify that a man can get closer to God by reading this book. I pray that we may all seek to follow the Lord's guidance for us in life. I love you all so much, and I am grateful for the love and support as I try to always remember Our Savior, and give Him all I have. 

Love,
Elder Adams 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment